We have added a slow cooker update to our amazing Stuffed Pepper Soup... make it in minutes on the stovetop or slowly simmer in your slow cooker while you're at the office.
Some days you don't have time to cook and its nice to come home to a hot bowl of goodness in your slow cooker.
- 2 large green bell peppers, cut into ½ inch dice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1¼ pounds 95% ground sirloin or round - use lean so there is very little fat to drain
- 1 28 ounce can petite diced tomatoes - I use Hunts
- 1 16 ounce can tomato sauce - I use Hunts
- One 32 ounce carton Swanson Beef Stock - the new stock has more flavor than broth
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Truvia Brown Sugar replacer - or 2 teaspoons Splenda
- Sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
OPTIONAL: 2 Cups cooked Quinoa
Stove Top Instructions
- In a large heavy pot, sauté the peppers, onions and garlic in the olive oil until very soft and lightly golden at edges.
- Add the beef and cook until browned, breaking up with a wooden spoon. .
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef stock, thyme, Worcestershire, soy sauce, and sugar replacer - add 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper and add more to taste.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until peppers are very soft and soup has thickened.
- Serve in shallow bowls with a scoop of cooked quinoa.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- In a large pan, sauté beef, onions and garlic in the olive oil until the beef is browned and the onions are clear.
- Spoon off as much of the excess fat as possible.
- Transfer the beef pepper mixture to the slow cooker; add the green peppers, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef stock, marjoram, Worcestershire, soy sauce, and sugar replacer.
- Season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
- If using, stir in 1 cup UNCOOKED Quinoa before placing the lid on your slow cooker.
- Set on High for 4 hours or Low for 6 hours.