Susan Maria Leach
What we LOVE about Mac & Cheese is the creamy cheesy sauce!
Truth is, you could put this delicious super cheesy sauce on a shoe and it would be good, but it is fantastic on cauliflower and even gets that wonderful brown crust. My husband did not notice it wasn't real macaroni and cheese. You could add some rotisserie chicken to make it Cheesy Chicken Mock Mac and Cheese!
Important: Do Not boil the sauce after adding the cheese or you will get a separated mess. The cheese will melt into a smooth sauce if the milk is gently warmed.
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut and broken up into small 'elbow macaroni size' florets
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk - use 2% or whole because if you use skim, sauce will be too thin
- 1/2 teaspoon Coleman's Dry Mustard or 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, or favorite cheesy blend (this is 8 ounces not 16 ounces)
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional but super worth doing)
- Spray a medium baking dish and a cookie sheet with non-stick vegetable spray. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread out the florets on the cookie sheet and roast for 8 to 10 minutes, until fork tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Add the flour and cook 30 seconds until absorbed and smooth.
- Whisk in the milk and the mustard, bringing almost to a boil over medium high heat and cooking until slightly thickened and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups of cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, a few grinds of pepper, garlic powder, and nutmeg.
- Fold in the roasted cauliflower to combine.
- Turn into prepared baking dish.
- Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake 15 to 20 minutes until browned and bubbly hot.