The meatballs are a soft moist texture, a manageable size and relatively quick to prepare.
The stroganoff sauce is delicious. An excellent family meal when paired with a dressed mixed salad. A couple of leftover meatballs in sauce also heat nicely in the microwave for next day’s lunch.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced (baby bella are great)
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Blend turkey, 3 tablespoons onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and egg yolk and form into 1-inch meatballs. (I use my cookie dough scoop to form the meatballs)
- Brown meatballs in olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining onion to the hot skillet, season with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until onion is softened.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until the liquid the mushrooms give off has evaporated and mixture is fairly dry.
- Add broth, Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil.
- Add cornstarch mixture and blend until sauce is glossy and thickened.
- Add meatballs with any accumulated juices, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat, stir in Greek yogurt and adjust seasonings.