Make this in a big pitcher to serve to your friends at a backyard barbecue. Perfect cocktail thats not too sweet and not too boozy.
An important word about Post-Op Drinking...
I stick up for responsible post op use of alcohol after we are 1 year post op. I have never hidden that I drink socially - most post ops can enjoy an occasional cocktail without incident - much like in non bariatric life. While I recognize that some do have issues with alcohol after surgery, to grandstand that no one should drink in post op life misrepresents the situation. If you cannot stop drinking, please tell a friend or contact your doctors office as they'll be able to help you. Otherwise, people party, people drink, people celebrate - we can make believe they don't, or we can discuss safe choices and safe use.
This recipe is a smart, refreshing choice - low calorie, no added sugar, simple! If you prefer a lower alcohol version, omit the vodka.
- 3 pounds seedless watermelon, cubed - I buy a mini one for this - save some to cut into cubes for a garnish.
- 1 bottle dry white wine - an $8 Chardonnay works perfectly
- 2/3 cup vodka - I buy Tito's but Skyy, Ciroc, and Western Son are brands with a Watermelon flavor spirit!
- Fresh lime juice - three fresh limes to make about 1/4 cup
- Splenda to taste - start with 1/4 cup
- In a blender, in batches, puree the watermelon cubes.
- Pour through a fine strainer into a big bowl - pressing on the solids to extract all that flavor.
- In a large pitcher, combine the watermelon juice, white wine, vodka, lime juice and enough Splenda to your taste.
- Chill. Stir and serve by pouring the sangria into ice-filled white wine glasses - garnish with watermelon cube and thin lime slice.