This is a refreshing summer cocktail to serve on your patio during a fun BBQ with good friends!
A word about Post-Op Drinking...
I stick up for responsible post op use of alcohol after we are 1 year post op - I have never hidden that I drink socially. Most of us can enjoy an occasional drink without incident - much like in non bariatric life. To grandstand about alcohol being bad and take the position that no one should drink after bariatric surgery would be ignorant as to how people function. People party, people drink, people celebrate - we can make believe they don't, or we can discuss safe choices and safe use.
This recipe is a smart, refreshing choice - low calorie, no added sugar, simple! If you prefer a lower alcohol version, omit the vodka.
- 3 pounds seedless watermelon, peeled and cubed, save a little to cut into pretty cubes for garnish
- 1 bottle dry white wine - an $8 Chardonnay works
- 2/3 cup vodka - I buy Tito's or Deep Eddy, but Skyy, Ciroc, Western Son are all brands with a Watermelon flavor!
- Fresh lime juice - three limestone make about 1/3 cup
- Splenda to taste - start with 1/4 cup
- In a blender, puree the watermelon cubes.
- Pour through a fine strainer into a pitcher.
- Add the white wine, vodka, lime juice and enough Splenda to your taste.
- Chill for at least 2 hours. Stir again, serve by pouring the sangria into ice-filled white wine glasses - garnish with watermelon cube and thin lime slice.