No products in the cart.
This is not only a delicious meal but a cheapo one as our local Fresh Market has a once a week special of ground chuck priced at 2.99 per pound.
Wednesday at my casa is often Meatloaf Night. I don’t use bread as I have discovered that one does not need ‘a binder’. It took me years to figure it out and I think you’ll like this one.
Budget Meals for Losing Weight, Part 2
Author: Susan Maria Leach, Before & After
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces cheddar, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- Ketchup or Sriracha ketchup (or blend ¼ cup ketchup with 1 tablespoon Sriracha)
- Sautè the onion in the olive oil in nonstick pan over medium high heat until well browned. Remove from heat to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, cheddar, salt, pepper, Worcestershire, 3 tablespoons ketchup and cooled onion until very well blended.
- Turn out into small baking dish and form using your hands into a narrow slightly flattened loaf shape.
- Bake 30 minutes, remove from oven, baste with additional ¼ cup ketchup, return to oven and cook to an internal temperature of 155 degrees, an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Allow meatloaf to rest 15 minutes before cutting into one inch slices.
- Serve with lettuce and tomato salad, drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.