Chicken Crust Pepperoni Pizza for Bariatric Eating

5.0 from 5 reviews
Chicken Crust Pizza #nocarbpizza #bariatricpizza
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Round 2. My original idea was to keep it light, but after seeing our Facebook Support Group members creative toppings, I caved and made a Pepperoni Pie! WOW. The secret to this recipe is a Screaming Hot Preheated Oven... otherwise your chicken crust will steam and there will be lots of liquid and not a lot of browning. THIS RECIPE IS OFF THE CHAIN!
  • One pound ground (raw) chicken breast - about 3 small boneless breasts, chopped in food processor
  • ½ cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 cup freshly shredded part skim mozzarella
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Dried oregano
  • ½ cup prepared pasta sauce
  • Crushed red pepper flakes
  • 4 or 5 basil leaves, rolled and sliced
  • Toppings - lets not go crazy with fat - I used Molinari very lean pepperoni in paper thin slices
  1. Preheat oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet or pizza pan with parchment paper or foil sprayed with non stick vegetable cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl combine the ground chicken with ¼ cup parmesan, ¼ cup mozzarella, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder and ½ teaspoon oregano.
  3. Mound the chicken mixture onto the parchment and pat into flat rectangle or disc. Cover with plastic wrap and evenly press or roll the chicken into a 7x10" rectangle or round. I use a rolling pin! Remove the plastic wrap and roast until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
  4. Smear crust with sauce, scatter with ¼ cup Parmesan, ¾ cup mozzarella, layer with toppings and season with a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes and ¼ teaspoon oregano.
  5. Pop back into hot oven and cook until melted and bubbly 6 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and scatter with chopped basil.

34 thoughts on “Chicken Crust Pizza #nocarbpizza #bariatricpizza

1. Deb Halpin says:

Had my gastric bypass in February 2005. In the first 12 months I was down 120 pounds.  Never really put the weight back on, I think 15 pounds and then I slapped myself, and got back on track.  Today I’m down a total of 155 pounds from my pre- surgery weight.  I’m still not at the goal weight that was suggested, I still need 45 more to go. I’m glad I found your site, hopefully I’ll find the support I need to reach it.

• Jannette says:

Hi Deb, I’m in the same boat. Surgery 12/07.start weight 251. I lost 80…back up to 220. I definitely need some support… Wanna buddy-team up? Jannette Stetson-Buck on FB

• Louann Compton says:

Me to Nannette I was 385 and had Rny 2004 I got down to 130 was my lowest and I am back up to 180 I need help getting back on track

2. Susan Ayers says:

Looking for healthy recipes that are easy to prepare. Have never had surgery only 5-10 lbs overweight. Looking to take them off.

3. Jen says:

As a bariatric patient and being married to an Italian man it’s hard to not eat as the Italians eat. We love all food equally but Italian is our favorite. This pizza was easy to make and tasted so delish! My husband thought that the crust was flat bread and shocked that I ate it. He was even more shocked when I told him the crust was ground chicken with cheese and rolled out. This will be a repeat in our house. It was very good!

• Stephanie says:

These recipes are tasty and helpful whether you choose to have surgery or not. Great idea implementing this style of eating to, lose some weight 🙂

• Joy says:

I use the recipes all the time since most are low carb! I don’t plan to have the surgery, but i have a lot of friends that have, and we have dinner together, so i like to cook what i know they can eat!

4. Aylene says:

After a week with the whole family eating my Back On Track diet I decided to give this a shot. Made one rectangular pie from 1 lb ground chicken (used my food processor to break it down further). My boys, 16, 13 and 9 *loved* it! Of course husband and mom thought it was pretty good too. Used a little pasta sauce, some breakfast sausage I had in the house, mushrooms, onion and bellpepper on half, meat and cheese on the other half for the picky kids. Along with an Italian Chopped salad this meal was a hit.

5. tidblg3r says:

Tried this last night and it was really good! I could come up with all kinds of topping ideas and enjoy heating something healthy! Never would’ve imagined a chicken crust….SO good, you have got to try it!!!

6. alsnyder says:

I’ve made this pizza twice in the last 2 weeks. It is so yummy! My husband LOVES it, too. Rolling out the chicken mixture as thin as possible is key. I even add a couple of minutes extra when I bake the chicken to make sure it’s done enough.

7. Sonja says:

Made this for myself. Barely got any when my husband and son smelled it! It was a delicious option for bariatrics to get more protein. absolutely will do again. and often.

8. Deborah A says:

My husband said “not bad” that means it was GOOD! It is hard to imagine pizza crust out of chicken but it works. I don’t really cook anymore but I guess I better get out of the rut of just eating meat and salad.

9. Aimee says:

Just made this pizza and it’s UNBELIEVABLY delicious! I can’t wait to make it again and experiment with different toppings – amazing!