No products in the cart.
Nothing says Thanksgiving like Pumpkin Cheesecake and this one just happens to be sugar free.
I like to ‘hunt’ at TJMaxx and one of my finds was a can of The Ginger People Crystallized Ginger Chips – the small can has been sitting in my kitchen cabinet while I found a way to use them. I added a heaping tablespoon to my pumpkin cheesecake crust and it took this recipe over the top. It added 9 grams of sugar to the entire recipe but is priceless in flavor. These tender little ginger nuggets can be found at Whole Foods and Fresh Market, but if you cannot find them, leave them out as the recipe uses ground ginger as well.
I have heavily criticized Splenda Brown Sugar for Baking, for not making it clear on the label that it contained sugar and I felt the name Splenda meant ‘no sugar’ and could trick some who could not have sugar. In this dish, I wanted the flavor of brown sugar without stomach cramping sugar alcohols, as this is a cheesecake for a family holiday gathering. Swap out for half the measurement of Truvia Brown Sugar or double the Splenda granulated if this concerns you.
Pumpkin Ginger Cheesecake - low or no added sugar
Author: Susan Maria Leach, Before & After
For the Crust:
- 1 cup pecans
- ¼ cup 'The Ginger Man Crystalized Ginger Chips', at Whole Foods or Fresh Market
- 20 Murray Sugar Free Gingersnaps, you can find at grocery stores or WalMart - use 10 of the bigger sugar free oatmeal if you cant find the sugar free gingersnaps.
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
For the Filling
- Three, 8 ounce packages Philadelphia cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup Splenda Brown Sugar for Baking (or use ¼ cup Truvia Brown)
- ½ cup Splenda, granulated (or use ¼ cup Truvia)
- 1 cup solid pack pure Libby's pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a food processor, pulse together the pecans, crystallized ginger, cookies, and cinnamon until even in texture and there are no large pecan pieces - add the butter and pulse a few times until mixture resembles damp sand. Firmly press into the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan and bake for 12 minutes to firm. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Wipe out the food processor - no need to wash. Pulse the Splenda (or Truvia) with the cream cheese until very smooth. Add the pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and flour, blend until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Pour into crust and bake until puffed and set around edges but still a bit soft near center - 50 to 60 minutes. Cool to room temperature – then chill before serving.