No products in the cart.
My husband loves this dish so I often make it for a special occasion even though they are super simple. Truth is that they are very easy for me to eat as they are very tender as well as being delicious even though not highly seasoned. I will serve with green beans or a green salad or even a plain tomato salad with balsamic and olive oil. One pound of meat makes 20 little meatballs if you use a mini ice cream scoop. I like the size that is about that of a cherry tomato.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground beef (I only buy ground turkey from Fresh Market as I'm picky)
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (grate into a little pile and lightly measure)
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt (love FAGE brand!)
- a hit of fresh parsley as garnish
- Saute the onion in the butter, in a large non-stick skillet, for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened and lightly browned, add the mushrooms and cook until juices are released and have evaporated. Set aside to cool. In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey with the egg yolk, salt, pepper, nutmeg, thyme and cooked onion mushroom mixture.
- Use a small metal ice cream scoop to portion and roll 'cherry tomato sized' meatballs, placing on a plate as you work. If you don't have a scoop, use a tablespoon as your guide to divide.
- Using the unwashed skillet from the onions, lightly brown the meatballs over medium high heat and remove to a plate.
- Add the flour to the skillet and whisk to incorporate as best as you can with the small amount of fat in the pan. Whisk in the beef broth and cook scraping and stirring 3 to 4 minutes until gravy is smooth and thickened.
- Add the meatballs to the gravy along with any juices from the plate and cook 10 to 12 minutes until they cooked through and the dish is hot and bubbling. Remove from heat, stir in the Greek yogurt and serve. Do not boil after yogurt is added or it will separate.