No products in the cart.
Fresh Lemon Pudding
I love lemons! Tart and buttery lemon meringue pie is one of my all time favorites and so are lemon bars. I make fantastic sugar free versions of both, but I don't always have the time to make them. However, the filling for these two lemony desserts can be made in a pot on the stove in minutes. It is actually a lemon curd but it sounds better tasting when I call it a pudding! I can whip up this Lemon Pudding during a Jeopardy commercial to serve as a wonderful sugar free sweet treat while watching The Voice. For me, post op life is best managed by heading off cravings before they take over.
- 2 large fresh lemons
- 2 egg yolks whisked in a medium bowl to use in filling, whites reserved for later
- ⅓ cup Truvia Blend (OR ⅔ cup Splenda Granulated)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Zest one of the lemons into a liquid measuring cup, then squeeze ⅓ to ½ cup juice and set aside. Blend the egg yolks in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Whisk together sweetener, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Add 2 cups cold water and stir to fully dissolve solids. Heat over medium high heat stirring constantly until mixture becomes very thick glossy and begins to boil. Reduce heat and stirring rapidly cook the thickened mixture for one minute.
- Remove from heat and add some of the hot mixture to the eggs yolks while whisking them. Then add all the warmed yolk mixture to the pot, stirring rapidly and quickly. Place pot back over low heat and gently cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly to fully blend and thicken slightly. Remove from heat and whisk in the the lemon zest, lemon juice and butter.
- Pour into small serving dishes or a medium bowl and chill.
- Ways to Serve:
- Easiest. Top a dish of cooled pudding with Reddi Wipp whipped cream or Cool Whip and serve.
- Slightly Gourmet. Lemon Meringue Puddings. Just before serving whip reserved egg whites with 2 tablespoons Truvia, spoon onto cooled pudding and broil or use a kitchen blowtorch to brown meringue.
- Fancy. Layer cooled pudding with Reddi Wipp whipped cream in wine glasses.
- Fancy & Pretty. Layer cooled pudding with whipped cream and raspberries in wine glasses.