No products in the cart.
Hot dogs are my guilty pleasure – everyone loves a good chili dog!
The flavors of a chili dog on a plate! Make sure and buy the good Kosher ones that are lower in fat – Hebrew National Low Fat are excellent – since you are blanketing these in chili and cheese. Ditto for the ground beef – since its half a pound get the super lean ground sirloin. GO EASY ON THE CHEESE – its a good idea to use a reduced fat cheddar such as Cabot brand.
Chili Dog Bake
Author: Susan Maria Leach, Before & After
- ½ pound ground sirloin - go super lean here
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can Bush’s Chili Beans
- 12 ounce package of Hebrew National Low Fat All Beef franks, cut in half both across and lengthwise
- ½ cup low fat shredded cheddar
- Brown the ground beef, garlic, two thirds of the onion and the pepper in large frying pan over medium high heat until very soft and tender. Drain off as much of the fat as possible.
- Add the chili powder, salt, Worcestershire, tomato sauce and beans. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Arrange hot dogs on the bottom of a baking dish - cover with chili, scatter with cheese and top with remaining minced onion.
- Bake at 400 F until hot and bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes.