This recipe comes together quickly and is a family favorite! All the flavors of lasagna in a bowl.Yes, it does taste like lasagna! We have had this recipe on the website for many years and it is one of the most popular. Not a lot of ingredients but the flavors scream Italian. Warm. Fennel. Cheese. Tomato. Perfect.
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seed, crushed with heavy skillet
- 1/2 pound lean Italian sausage, casings removed - or Jimmy Dean Italian sausage
- One 32-ounce container chicken broth
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil - dont skimp on the fresh basil as it will infuse deliciousness into the soup
- 2 tablespoons Splenda or 1 tablespoon Truvia
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Sauté the garlic in the olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot 2 to 4 minutes until softened - add the crushed red pepper and fennel seed and cook for 30 seconds stirring constantly. Add the sausage and cook, mashing with a fork, until sausage is well browned and broken up into small fine pieces, 4 to 6 minutes.
Stir in the broth, tomatoes and basil. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the sweetener. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, blend the ricotta with 2 tablespoons parmesan and a few grinds of black pepper. Ladle the soup into a shallow bowl, add a dollop of the ricotta mixture in the center, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.