Flattening out a small chicken is called Spatchcocking!
I put the game hen on my cutting board and with my big chefs knife cut through the breast bone and then flatten it out.
You can also ask them to do it for you at the meat counter in your supermarket. I love Cornish Hens, they are super juicy.
Deconstruct (Spatchcock) a Game Hen or Chicken with Butcher Shears
- Wash and dry the chicken. Place the chicken on its breast.
- Cut along each side of the backbone to remove it.
- Flip the chicken over press flat with your hand.
- Deconstruct and flatten the chicken according to the instructions above and arrange on sheet pan with your vegetables. Asparagus is a fantastic pairing for this meal and is fabulous roasted!
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with Creole seasoning.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425∞F for 25 to 30 minutes, until the juices run clear from the chicken.