I love an occasional margarita but store bought mixer has a ton of sugar in it. Bottled sugar free margarita mix sucks - blech! I used to live in Mexico and once you have had a handmade 'real' margarita made with fresh lime, nothing else will do.
IMPORTANT SO LISTEN UP
If you have had bariatric surgery, do not drink any alcohol in the first year after surgery - this is non-negotiable. After that proceed with extreme caution. The alcohol is not digested before it goes to the intestine, it is absorbed as very high proof and it is easy to become very drunk, very quickly and if you drink too much or drink without any food you can die from alcohol poisoning. I have a strict rule in that I do not drink any beverage containing alcohol unless I am with someone with whom I can trust with my life - no exceptions. Be safe.
- 3/4 cup fresh (or bottled) lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh (or bottled) lemon juice
- 1 cup Splenda Granulated (yellow bag) or 1/2 cup Truvia
- 1 cup bottled water
- Juice and zest of one orange
- Blend lime, lemon, Splenda, water, orange zest and juice in the blender for a few seconds - transfer to a clean, washed wine bottle and store in the fridge.
Try it for your next Happy Hour or Sports extravaganza.
- To make your margarita, blend 1 1/2 ounces tequila with 4 ounces mix and lots of ice in a shaker.
- Run lime around the rim of your glass and dip in sea salt or even better use a chipotle chili powder and salt blend.
- Strain cocktail over the ice.