There is not much that is more soothing and warming than a bowl of homemade onion soup! While most of us have only savored this dish in a restaurant, once you see how simple it is, you will make it a family favorite.
I do not make mine with a crouton, but I do add a big pinch of freshly grated gruyere or swiss cheese to melt into my soup.
If you have had bariatric surgery, pair your bowl of goodness with turkey and lettuce roll ups, as this is not a protein food.
- 6 cups thinly cliced sweet onions, red onions, yellow onions, single variety or mixed
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth - Swanson's Chicken Stock is a good choice
- 2 cups beef broth - Swanson's Beef Stock is a good choice
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Sauté onions and garlic in the butter until browned and caramelized, 25 to 30 minutes, take plenty of time for this step.
- Add white wine, chicken and beef broth and cook for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of the nutmeg, or to taste - season with salt and pepper.