We have added a slow cooker update to our amazing Stuffed Pepper Soup... make it in minutes on the stovetop or slowly simmer in your slow cooker while you're at the office.
Some days you don't have time to cook and its nice to come home to a hot bowl of goodness in your slow cooker.
- 2 large green or red bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound ground beef
- One 16 ounce can tomato sauce - I use Hunts
- One 32 ounce carton Swanson Beef Stock - the new stock has more flavor than broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
OPTIONAL: 2 Cups cooked Quinoa
Stove Top Instructions
- In a large heavy pot, sauté the peppers, onions and garlic in the butter until very soft and lightly golden at edges.
- Add the beef and cook until browned, breaking up with a wooden spoon.
- Add tomato sauce, beef broth, thyme, Worcestershire, and soy sauce - add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and add more to taste.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until peppers are very soft and soup has thickened.
- Serve in shallow bowls with a scoop of cooked quinoa.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- In a large pan, sauté beef, onions and garlic in the butter until the beef is browned and the onions are clear.
- Transfer the beef pepper mixture to the slow cooker; add the green peppers, tomato sauce, beef stock, thyme, Worcestershire, and soy sauce.
- Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- If using, stir in 1 cup UNCOOKED Quinoa before placing the lid on your slow cooker.
- Set on High for 4 hours or Low for 6 hours.