General Tso's Skinny Chicken!
This amazing Chinese classic fits that need in a way that makes sure that after General Tso's 'Skinny Chicken' you can still fit into Your Skinny Jeans!
Chinese food is super delicious BUT not Bariatric Friendly because the sauces are often very high in sugar and many of the chicken or beef bites are deep-fried before being tossed with the sauce.
- 1 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken thighs, trimmed of visible fat and cut into one bite pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Chinese chile garlic sauce
- 3 tablespoons Splenda or 1 1/2 tablespoons Truvia
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons very finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Cooked broccoli
- Combine the sesame oil with the egg white, 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch.
- Add the chicken, stirring to coat and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- In a small separate bowl blend the chicken broth with the chile garlic sauce, sweetener, and the remaining 1/4 cup of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
- Sauté the ginger and garlic in a teaspoon of the oil in a medium saucepan over high heat 1 to 2 minutes, until softened.
- Add the broth mixture to the pan and cook until thickened and glossy, 2 to 3 minutes, lower heat and keep warm.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat the remaining oil and add the chicken pieces one at a time, not crowding the pan, and cook until browned and crisp, turning and browning on the other side, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken pieces to the warm sauce, add the scallions and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately with the broccoli.