The crab is the STAR, so we are looking to enhance, not cover up the flavor.
I bake my crab cakes and no one notices or cares that they are not deep fried or sautéed in butter. These are one of my favorite meals paired with a fresh salad. The one-pound tins of crab from Costco are the best deal around and every time we shop there, I make sure I pick up a tin of jumbo lump!
No bread crumb needed, there are sautéed vegetables to add flavor to the crab with a bit of mayo and egg to keep it together. These taste great!
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Hellmann's Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons egg (scramble egg, then measure)
- 1 pound lump or jumbo lump crab
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Saute, onion and peppers in butter until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the Old Bay seasoning and lemon juice - remove from heat to cool.
- Blend mayonnaise, mustard, and egg in a medium bowl.
- Stir in the sautéed vegetables including any pan liquids.
- Gently fold in the crab, being careful not to break up the lumps.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, divide into eight even portions on a baking sheet.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned.