Broccoli Apple Salad
A support group member asked if we could create a bariatric friendly version of an Amish broccoli carrot salad she loved that is traditionally made with a sugary mayo sour cream dressing.
Admin Alison Meacham took on the task and came up with a lighter yet delicious salad that she was excited to feature in one of her Small Plate Meals. This side dish is crisp, bright, fresh, sweet, snappy and tastes great paired with sliced roast beef or a broiled pork chop. Mmmmmm.
- 2 cups broccoli flowerettes, lightly steamed or roasted and cooled
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 Gala apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup Fage Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Hellmanns mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Splenda granulated
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- Toss the broccoli, onion, carrot, apple and pecans.
- Blend the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Splenda, salt and black pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix using two large spoons until lightly coated.
- Serve chilled.