Cuban Style Black Beans with Smoked Turkey
This bowl of goodness is a great meal for a slow simmer on a Sunday.
Cuban style black beans are easy and inexpensive to make at home - I use a smoked turkey drumstick that are readily available at most supermarkets and even Walmart. Please try them! Your entire family will love the flavors.
- 1 large spanish onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, peeled and cut into fine dice
- 1 medium jalapeño, cut in half
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound dried black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 smoked turkey drumstick (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, (only a small amount, but an important flavor)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Salsa, sour cream cilantro and lime wedges
- Saute the onion, pepper, jalapeño and garlic in olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, 5 to 8 minutes, until softened and slightly browned.
- Add the beans, turkey drumstick, oregano, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 8 cups water.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer 5 to 6 hours - until beans are very tender and liquid has thickened naturally.
- Remove the drumstick and shred the meat.
- Remove about 2 cups beans from the pot and blend until smooth (or partially blend with an immersion blender).
- Return the beans and turkey meat to the soup. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the beans into bowls - try your black beans with salsa, cilantro, a bit of sour cream and squeeze of fresh lime.