Spring Summer Fall Winter... this is my favorite soup. When simmered with coconut milk and curry powder red lentils are just mmmmmmm. Serve with a lettuce turkey roll up or broiled chicken skewer for protein.
The secret to this dish is red lentils do not have skins, so they're tender†in 20 minutes - they melt into the coconut milk to become a bowl of golden goodness.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth (I use Swanson Natural Goodness broth)
- 1 pound dried red lentils
- One 13-ounce can light coconut milk (NOT the sweetened kind used for a Pina Colada)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder or Garam Masala spice blend - buy a fresh new container for best flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Saute the onion in the oil, in a large pot over medium high heat until golden.
- Add the tomato, broth, lentils, coconut milk, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes, until the lentils are soft.
- Add additional water or broth to adjust thickness of soup to your likeness.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving stir in the cilantro.