Biscotti means twice baked in Italian, and these little gems are one of my favorite sugar free treats. After a fine holiday meal, relax with a cup of cappuccino in which to dip your sugar free biscotti!
These cookies taste so good that I have no desire to eat anything with real sugar on our family holiday table. Food this good is a pleasure and not a punishment or compromise. I live and love this lifestyle and so will you!
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup Splenda granular (OR 2/3 cup Truvia Baking Blend)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups California Almond Flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of table salt
- 3/4 cup pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Using a food processor pulse the egg and egg yolk until thick and lemon-colored.
- Add the Splenda, butter, vanilla and almond extracts and continue pulsing until well blended.
- Mix the almond flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Add to the egg mixture and pulse until well blended and dough gathers into a ball.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Turn dough out onto a piece of parchment or wax paper and knead in the pistachios. Do not overwork the dough.
- Divide the dough in half and using the paper, roll into two 8-inch-long by 2-inch-wide flattened log shapes.
- Transfer to a baking sheet by picking up the paper and rolling the biscotti log onto the sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Carefully remove the biscotti logs to a cutting board and using a serrated knife and gentle sawing motion, cut into Ω inch thick slices.
- Arrange the slices on the same baking sheet. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees F until golden brown.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.