Skinny Fiesta Chicken
The key to this dish is the quick homemade red enchilada sauce! It is so much better than anything you can buy in the can and super easy to make!
The great flavors that make enchiladas and tacos super yummy but without the carbs of the hard shell or tortillas. A really delicious family casserole that's bariatric friendly for you! Remember to go easy on the cheese, it's an accent not a blanket.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds raw chicken breast or tenders, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow or green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup chicken broth
- One 8 ounce can Hunts tomato sauce
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Chopped lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet and sautÈ the chicken, peppers, onion and garlic until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a shallow baking dish.
- Make the enchilada sauce by heating remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the same skillet over medium high heat. Add flour and cook while whisking for 45 to 60 seconds.
- Stir in the chili powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin and oregano.
- Slowly add the broth, whisking constantly and then the tomato sauce.
- Reduce heat and simmer until thick and smooth, 6 to 8 minutes.
- the enchilada sauce over the chicken and vegetables - evenly sprinkle with the shredded jack cheese and the green onions and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Cool ten minutes and top with the lettuce and tomatoes just before serving.