Summer Squash Casserole, Cheesy Baked Perfection!
Easy, cheesy, buttery, toasty and delicious. When given a choice, people always choose the baked casserole!
A fantastic side dish for pork chops, grilled chicken tenders, ham steak, sliced sirloin. Your family will love a big scoop of this on their plate. Avoid blurting out that its a vegetable casserole, or they may stop eating it!
If you do not have the Cavender's Greek Seasoning, I encourage you to procure some the next time you're in the supermarket spice section. It's very good and so many baked or roasted foods benefit from just a sprinkle.
- 2 pounds zucchini - or use yellow squash, or some of each - this is about 6 small diameter squash. Use small ones so there are fewer seeds.
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 ounces yellow cheddar, freshly grated
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon Cavender's Greek Seasoning or garlic powder
- Sea salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a ceramic baking dish with non stick vegetable spray.
Grate the summer squash on a large hole box grater - you will need about 4 cups grated squash. Squeeze out a good portion of the soppy liquid over a bowl using your hands. (You may discard the liquid.)
In a medium bowl, combine the squash, yogurt, HALF of the cheese, egg, butter, Cavender's seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
Turn out into the prepared baking dish, scatter with remaining cheese, more black pepper and bake until puffed and golden, 15 to 18 minutes.