Full Liquids - Your First Baby Steps with Food
The goal in this phase is to introduce a few calories into your diet and ready your surgically altered stomach and intestines for food. Doctors vary in their requirements for length of time in this food stage; some as little as a few days to as long as a month or even longer in cases.
Stay with your surgeon's prescribed timeline.
Full liquids include drinks or foods that are smooth and are somewhat pourable. Begin to use protein drinks to give your body the building blocks needed to heal from surgery.
During this phase, foods may continue to have an off taste and some foods, usually, dairy products will cause stomach rumbling and gas. Eliminate milk and use water to blend protein shakes. Focus on fluids and get plenty of rest. It gets better every day!
Good Choices for Full Liquids to add to your list of Clear Liquids:
- Protein Drinks- Inspire Protein Drinks, Peanut Butter Cookie is excellent!
- Vanilla Egg Custard- our most popular post op recipe!
- Tomato Juice or V-8 warmed or chilled
Smooth Black Bean Soup
- One, 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Place beans, salsa, and broth in blender and pulse until very smooth.
- Heat an individual portion and stir in a scoop of Inspire Pure Unflavored Whey Protein Isolate using package directions.