Bariatric Eating Italian Sub: Where's the Bread?!
An authentic Italian sub has a unique combination of flavors that are like nothing else! Create those layers of true Italian flavors on a giant leaf of crisp romaine lettuce and it's almost as good as the original.
I use Boars Head deli meats as they are super delicious, high quality and very lean. You can buy just 2 or 3 slices of each. I honestly don't care that there isn't a roll. There is just something about Provolone and Oregano that nails it.
BE Italian Sub! Where's the Bread?
- A large leaf of romaine lettuce
- 1 slice sharp provolone cheese
- 2 slices Genoa salami
- 1 slice boiled ham
- 1 slice mortadella, an Italian style bologna
- Sliced pickled pepperoncini
- A few thin slices of plum tomato
- Thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Layer the sandwich fillings on the large leaf of romaine lettuce. Sprinkle the toppers over the sandwich and MANGIA