Hot dogs are my guilty pleasure - everyone loves a good chili dog!
The flavors of a chili dog on a plate! Make sure and buy the better quality Kosher ones - Nathan's or Hebrew National are excellent - since you are covering them in chili and cheese.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, GO EASY ON THE CHEESE - use a microplane and a little goes a very long way. This dish is about balance and you want to taste the flavors of each component.
- 1 can Bush's Chili Beans
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 12 ounce package of Hebrew National Low Fat All Beef franks, sliced
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar
- 1 medium onion, diced
- mustard and ketchup
- Blend the chili beans and chili powder in a medium saucepan and cook over medium high heat until bubbling hot.
- Slice and arrange hot dogs in individual baking cups or a baking dish - cover with chili bean mixture.
- Bake in preheated 400 F oven or toaster oven until hot and bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add a light layer of cheese - return to oven to melt.
- Add diced raw onion and paint with ketchup and mustard to taste.