Chinese Beef & Bok Choy
Chinese food is super delicious BUT not Bariatric Friendly because the sauces are often very high in sugar and many of the chicken or beef bites are deep fried before being tossed with the sauce.
If you have any doubt as to the unhealthiness of Chinese cuisine, look at the Nutrition Page of Pei Wei Asian Bistro. I wondered WHY I was so sleepy and sick after eating there and to my shock discovered that the Beef and Broccoli I chose had over 40 grams of sugar. ALL of the wok dishes were so high in sugar that I only have a cup of Hot and Sour Soup when we eat there! Pei Wei is clean and fresh Chinese that is promoted as healthy - I cant imagine what the stuff at our local take out has for nutrition stats. Chinese food as Americans eat it is NOT healthy.
This Chinese Beef and Bok Choy is super clean lean and healthy! Its also really yummy and tastes a lot like it came from the best take out in town! Try it.
HINT: Have everything cut up and out on the cutting board before firing up the wok.
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red or orange bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 1/2 medium white onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 pound top round beef, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound baby bok choy (usually 3 or 4 small ones, ends trimmed, leaves separated and cut if larger than 1/2 inch by 2 inches
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- OR in place of last five ingredients, use 1/4 cup House of Tsang Classic Stir Fry sauce
- Heat a large skillet or wok over high heat. Sauté the garlic, ginger, pepper, and onion in the oil until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the beef and story fry until browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the bok choy, toss and cook until the bok choy just begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Blend the soy sauce, oyster sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth.
- Add the sauce to the wok and cook, stirring constantly until sauce is thick and glossy - 1 to 2 minutes.