This is my trademark dessert as they taste fantastic yet are very easy and fast to prepare.
These cakes are every bit as good as any full sugar version served in a restaurant. Not an everyday dessert, but for a special occasion. An occasion like a Birthday, Mother's Day or Valentine's Day, are perfect. These scrumptious cakes will knock your socks off. I serve mine with a few raspberries or a sprinkle of pomegranate arils.
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 to 6 ounces sugar free dark chocolate, or 65% dark chocolate that is not sugar free
- 3 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Splenda granular
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly spray six 6 ounce ramekins with cooking spray and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a heavy saucepan over medium low heat, gently whisk until smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Beat the eggs, egg yolk, vanilla, Splenda, and salt using a handheld mixer set highest speed until the volume is nearly tripled and the mixture has the texture of softly whipped cream, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the egg mixture and beat until just blended in.
- Fold the melted chocolate and butter into the egg mixture until fairly uniform in color.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared ramekins.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, until the sides of the cakes have puffed slightly above the top edge of the ramekins but the centers are still soft. Do not over bake.
- Let the cakes cool for 1 minute, then unmold onto a dessert plate.
Serve at once. Cooled cakes are the texture of a brownie and are good too!