Egg Rolls 'Unrolled' - Egg Roll in a Bowl
This deconstructed or 'unrolled' egg roll is amazing.
I've always loved Chinese food but after bariatric surgery its not a good choice as there is always too much sugar and lots of oil. I make really flavorful stir fry at home that are fast and delicious. The key is using the right ingredients! Dry Sherry and Sesame Oil are two Asian flavors that are available in your grocery store that are essential for a great dish.
- 3/4 pound boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch bites
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- 10 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded
- 1/2 small head napa cabbage
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the chicken, soy sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl to coat and set aside to marinate.
- Stir fry the chicken in the oil in a hot wok until no longer pink and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes, remove to a bowl.
- Stir fry the ginger, garlic and shiitake mushrooms 2 to 3 minutes until fragrant and the mushroom liquid has evaporated.
- Add cabbage, carrots and scallions and stir fry until vegetables have softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and add the sherry, soy sauce, sesame oil and a few grinds of black pepper and continue to toss until vegetables are crisp tender 2 to 3 minutes.