Green Chile Cheese Puff
A super easy and flavorful cheesy protein meal that works for breakfast, lunch, supper, or as a tapas style appetizer to serve with a glass of white wine! Melty cheddar and canned diced mild green chiles provide the winning flavor combination for a make ahead bariatric-friendly meal your entire family will love.
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup, small curd low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- One, 4-ounce can diced green chilies, drained
- 4 or 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- Beat eggs until light and lemon colored - using an electric hand mixer if desired.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, a few grinds of black pepper and blend until smooth.
- Fold in the cottage cheese, cheese, butter and chilies.
- Pour mixture into 8 x 8 inch glass baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick vegetable spray.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, until edges are slightly puffed and the very center of the puff still jiggles a bit when you move the baking dish.
- DO NOT OVERBAKE - for a moist cheesy texture, remove from oven when slightly underbaked as the heat will continue to cook it out of the oven.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving with favorite salsa.