At our first BE - Bariatric Eating event at the Downtown Disney Hilton in Orlando, we held our special dinner at the Wolfgang Puck Grand Café.
One of our chef-created, bariatric friendly, first courses was this amazing soup. We happily slurped it up and I was thrilled to be able to snag the recipe from Wolfgang himself. He called to ask me if we were happy with our meal. <<<FANGURL>>>
It is very simple and truly delicious!
- One 3 pound butternut, hubbard or winter squash - cut in half, seeds removed
- 2 apples, peeled and cut in half, core removed
- 1 large Vidalia or sweet onion, peeled and cut in thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garam masala spice blend
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat heavy roasting pan with non stick vegetable spray.
- Arrange quash in pan and roast for 45 minutes - remove from oven, add the apples and onion to the pan, drizzle with olive oil and season with garam masala, salt and pepper. Roast until squash is very soft and the onions have browned a bit on the edges, 30 to 45 additional minutes.
- Cool the roasted vegetables 10 to 15 minutes and scoop the softened squash from the shell into a blender, add the roasted apples and onion, then puree adding enough chicken broth to blend smoothly. You will need to puree in two batches.
- Pour into heavy saucepan and heat; adding remaining broth to adjust texture.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with a few toasted pumpkin seeds and bit of harissa or chili garlic sauce if desired.