The dish of summer. If you love scallops, you must make this dish. It is that amazing.
Really try hard to not move the scallops for at least 2 minutes once they hit the pan or they wont have that gorgeous brown crust that takes a scallop to the moon!
- 3 ears of summer corn, yellow or mixed or white, does not matter as long as its gorgeous and fresh
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced pepperoni - only a good quality brand such as Boars Head, from the deli section
- 4 scallions, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 or 1 whole serrano chile (depending on heat), seeds and veining removed, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (the Carnation brand in the tin) or you can use whole milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 12 large sea scallops, patted dry - this serves 4 people, 3 scallops each
- 1 lime, cut into 1/4 wedges
- Cut kernels from corn cobs and place in a medium bowl. Using the back of a butter knife, scrape milk from cobs into the bowl; discard cobs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook pepperoni until it begins to crisp, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon or pour off the pepperoni oil into a small bowl and set oil aside.
- Lower heat in skillet to medium and add scallions, garlic, chile, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, until vegetables are softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add corn kernels and cook, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let corn mixture cool in pan 5 minutes then stir in the milk and basil. Taste and season with additional salt if needed.
- Season scallops with salt. Add the the reserved pepperoni oil and and enough olive oil to come to 1 tablespoon to a large non stick skillet - heat at medium high until just beginning to smoke.
- Cook scallops on one side, until a golden brown crust forms on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low, turn and cook scallops another 1 to 2 minutes, DO NOT OVERCOOK, and transfer to a plate.
- Divide corn salad and arrange scallops on top. Serve with squeeze of lime.