Warm Summer Corn Salad with Scallops
The dish of summer. If you love scallops, you must make this dish. It is that amazing.
Really try hard to not move the scallops for at least 2 minutes once they hit the pan or they wont have that gorgeous brown crust that takes a scallop to the moon!
- 3 ears of summer corn, yellow or mixed or white, does not matter as long as its gorgeous and fresh
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced pepperoni - only a good quality brand such as Boars Head, from the deli section
- 4 scallions, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 or 1 whole serrano chile (depending on heat), seeds and veining removed, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (the Carnation brand in the tin) or you can use whole milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 12 large sea scallops, patted dry - this serves 4 people, 3 scallops each
- 1 lime, cut into 1/4 wedges
- Cut kernels from corn cobs and place in a medium bowl. Using the back of a butter knife, scrape milk from cobs into the bowl; discard cobs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook pepperoni until it begins to crisp, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon or pour off the pepperoni oil into a small bowl and set oil aside.
- Lower heat in skillet to medium and add scallions, garlic, chile, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, until vegetables are softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add corn kernels and cook, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let corn mixture cool in pan 5 minutes then stir in the milk and basil. Taste and season with additional salt if needed.
- Season scallops with salt. Add the the reserved pepperoni oil and and enough olive oil to come to 1 tablespoon to a large non stick skillet - heat at medium high until just beginning to smoke.
- Cook scallops on one side, until a golden brown crust forms on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low, turn and cook scallops another 1 to 2 minutes, DO NOT OVERCOOK, and transfer to a plate.
- Divide corn salad and arrange scallops on top. Serve with squeeze of lime.