Sweet Potato Pie - No Added Sugar
My husband is from Georgia and this was his request for Christmas dessert.
I have never made a sweet potato pie but used a Nick Malgieri recipe as a starting point - turning it into a no sugar added version. The simplicity truly brought out the richly caramelized flavor of the roasted organic Garnet Sweet Potatoes I bought at Whole Foods Market. This pie is amazing - wholesome cooking at its best! It can also served sans crust as a baked custard - poured into a glass 2 quart casserole set into a roasting pan, filled to half with hot water and baked until just set.
- 1 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs plus 2 yolks
- 2/3 cup Splenda or Truvia
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 can evaporated milk
- Your favorite 9-inch pie crust - I use Pillsbury All Ready Pie Crusts as they are simple and fast
- Wash, arrange, and roast sweet potatoes on a foil lined baking sheet at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes, until they are soft when pressed with fingers. Remove from oven and cool to handle.
- Peel sweet potatoes and puree in food processor until silky smooth. Add eggs, yolks, sweetener, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg and pulse to blend thoroughly.
- Scrape down processor and blend. Add evaporated milk, blend to incorporate via a few 5 second bursts, scrape down bowl and repeat.
- Pour into shell and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until set around edges but still a bit soft in center.
- Cool to room temperature and chill if desired. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.