The Fresh Market has a weekly special for super nice ground chuck at just $3.99 a pound and I like making something a ‘different’ than plain ole burgers or meat loaf.
These are a sort of ‘meatloaf on a stick’ that I can cook in minutes using my grill pan. If you don’t have one, you can use a skillet or broiler. I like the bamboo skewers so no one at the table feels cheated that there isn’t a bun!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice or finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 8 ounces ground beef or if not using pork use 16 ounces beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- Saute the butter and onions in a skillet over high heat; season with 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cook over high heat until onions begin to brown on the edges, 7 to 8 minutes. remove from heat to cool slightly.
- Mix the beef, pork, cooled cooked onions, Worcestershire, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a bowl.
- Portion the meat into four 4 ounce balls, then form into a slightly flattened football shape around a bamboo skewer.
- Preheat a grill pan and grill the skewers along with slices of onion and red bell peppers for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with a fast sauce of 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon Sriracha or hot sauce to taste.