This salad is an easy way to make any meal fancy.
Crisp and cool iceberg lettuce shines with the creamy rich dressing!
First you'll want to make the dressing, make it a few hours ahead of time to maximize flavor. A little of this creamy dressing will go a long way as the fresh herbs and garlic are very flavorful. So don't overdo it on the dressing when you serve this. If you save the remaining dressing in a closed container in the fridge it should last 3-4 days and would be perfect spooned on top of fresh grilled salmon or as a dip for raw veggies.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, you may lower calories by selecting non fat.
- Juice from 1 small lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, use a garlic press to make sure the garlic is very fine
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/8 teaspoon Truvia
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
You will also need:
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- Toppings for your salad, for ours uses about a tablespoon of bacon bits per serving. Thinly sliced shallots, some chives and dill, sliced tomatoes. You will want to keep this very simple to allow the dressing to shine.
- Remove a 1 or 2 of the outer leaves on the lettuce so the head is tight and the remaining leaves are bright green and not brusied or brown.
- Carefully slice off the bottom of the stem as close to the head as possible.
- Slice the head into 4 quarters, then if needed split the quarters into smaller sections, but keep the wedge shape.
- On your serving plate, place the lettuce wedge and top with the toppings.
- Drizzle the dressing on top.
Serve as a light lunch or pair with grilled chicken, beef, pork, fish or shrimp for a more complete meal.