Buttermilk Wedge Salad
This salad makes any meal fancy. Perfect for a holiday meal alongside a slab of Prime Rib.
Crisp and cool iceberg lettuce shines with the creamy rich dressing and a garnish of crisp bacon.
The fresh herbs and garlic in this dressing are super flavorful, so don't overdo it and slop too much on your wedge. If you save the remaining dressing in a closed container in the fridge it should keep a week and tastes amazing spooned over grilled salmon or as a dip for raw veggies.
You'll want to make the dressing a few hours ahead to maximize flavor.
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 small lemon, about 1 1/2 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- a pinch of Truvia
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
You will also need:
- 1 small to medium head of iceberg lettuce
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, cooked until very crisp, drained and cooled.
- Thinly sliced shallots
- Halved grape tomatoes.
- Remove a 1 or 2 of the outer leaves on the lettuce so the head is tight and the remaining leaves are bright green and not bruised or brown.
- Carefully slice off the bottom of the stem as close to the head as possible.
- Slice the head in half, then cut each half in half again, so you end up with 4 pieces. (you can cut smaller wedges, but you get the idea.)
- Place a lettuce wedge on each serving plate and add a few tomatoes, some shallots, a few bacon crisps and a drizzle of your Buttermilk Ranch Dressing.
~~ Spreading joy in the Bariatric Kitchen one recipe at a time, Suzi Shaw!