Meatballs are easy and this cheesy version is like a hug from your grandma!
Serve with a small green salad - baby spinach, cucumber slices, grape tomatoes. Toss with 3 parts olive oil to 1 part vinegar, season with salt and pepper.
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt - if regular table salt, use 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely minced or crushed garlic, about 2 or 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup Progresso Italian breadcrumbs blended with 1/2 cup milk or water in a cup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jar Gia Russo, Mario Batali, or Barilla Pasta Sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine the ground beef with the egg, Parmesan, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, and bread crumb paste in a large bowl until well blended. Portion into golf ball size meatballs. A metal ice cream scoop works perfectly for this!
- Brown the meatballs on all sides in the olive oil, in nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the sauce, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer on medium for 10 to 12 minutes depending on the size of your meatballs. Add the mozzarella, cover and cook an additional 2 minutes for the cheese to melt.
Scatter with a little fresh basil for an added burst of fresh Italian flavor.