I love stuffed peppers and we know you do too! This recipe is out of this world with lots of Mexican flavor!
I was thinking about a stuffing for sweet mini peppers and knew that chickpeas would make a great base. A golden crust on the outside but soft and creamy on the inside, roasty toasty sweet peppers and a Mexican flavor profile.
Delicious served with sliced tomatoes - or if you don't dig a vegetarian meal, these can go on the plate next to grilled steak or a pork chop!
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- One 15-ounce can chick peas, well drained
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or ground chipotle - the smokiness is wonderful in this dish
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- a splash of hot sauce
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- a few grinds of black pepper
- 15 to 20 mini sweet peppers
- Sauté the onion and garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil in a small skillet until soft and golden - set aside.
- Place the chick peas in a medium shallow bowl and mash with a fork until crumbly but leaving some texture. Blend in the sautéed vegetables, egg, chili powder, oregano, a splash of hot sauce, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Stuff each small pepper full of the mixture and arrange in a baking dish or oven proof skillet.
- Drizzle with remaining olive oil and roast 20 to 25 minutes, until stuffing is golden and peppers are soft and lovely.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime, Mexican crema and chopped cilantro.