Zero Sugar Lemon Bars
No one would EVER think these weren't the real deal from your childhood... like Grandma or Mum used to make. They are puckery, buttery and super lemony! Summer in a baking dish.
Try them... and make them YOUR signature offering when you need to take a dessert that you want to be able to eat as well. 100% Bariatric and diabetic friendly.Ingredients
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Truvia Blend natural sugar replacer (not the packets)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 large egg yolks plus 3 large eggs
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, about 2 or 3 lemons - I use fresh plus bottled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pulse the almond flour, flour, 1/4 cup Truvia, and 2 tablespoons butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse meal, 20 to 30 seconds.
- Transfer crumb to prepared pan and press firmly with flat bottom of measuring cup into an even layer over pan bottom.
- Bake until light golden brown - 15 to 18 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, whisk the eggs with the remaining 1/2 cup Truvia in a medium saucepan.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice, beat for an additional 1 minute.
- Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter and cook over medium heat stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or silicon spatula until the mixture thickens to a sauce like consistency - about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Pour onto the hot crust and bake until the filling is shiny and the center seems firm but still has a slight jiggle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool completely and cut 5 by 5, so you have 25 pieces. The color of your bars varies depending on the color of your egg yolks.