Every now and then, it is nice to bake a cake and this one is really tasty.
This is a simple, nicely moist, not too sweet, dark rich chocolatey single layer that's easy to make and you likely have all the ingredients at home right now. Truvia natural sugar replacer provides similar structure to sugar, so it bakes up just lovely and sugar free. Top a sliver with a few berries or cherries and some sugar free whipped cream for a very elegant special dessert. Make a single layer or cupcakes for great portion control - I use silicon cups I picked up at TJMaxx for two dollars.
Baking Tip: Coffee enhances chocolate flavor without adding coffee taste on its own.
- Nonstick vegetable cooking spray (Pam)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour - I use Bob's Red Mill brand
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa - I use Ghirardelli brand
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup Truvia for baking
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup room temperature or cold coffee (or use water)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Heat the oven to 350∞ F. Spray a 9 inch round cake pan with vegetable cooking spray and line with a parchment round.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, almond flour, cocoa, baking soda, Truvia, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, coffee, and almond extract.
- Whisk the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients until smooth. Quickly whisk in vinegar.
- Pour into prepared pan, bake until a tester inserted into center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes, then invert cake onto a wire rack and let cool completely.