Every now and then my grocery store has ahi tuna on sale and I will grab some for this no fuss quick to the table dish.
I like my tuna seared on outside with raw inside, but it got away from me this time and the tuna in photo is medium rare to medium. Still delicious!
- Non stick vegetable cooking spray
- Two 1 inch thick tuna steaks, (about 4 ounces each)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 medium Roma tomato, diced
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Lightly coat a ridged stovetop grill pan or outdoor grill with nonstick vegetable spray and preheat.
- Season tuna with salt and pepper.
- Grill tuna until well browned but still rare, about 2 minutes per side. For medium rare, cook 1 minute more, until the flesh begins to pull apart. For medium, cook 2 minutes more, until the flesh flakes apart. Remove to plate.
- Gently toss the cucumber, tomato, avocado with the lime juice, lime zest and olive oil in a medium bowl. Do not over mix or you will mash the avocado. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice tuna and plate with salad.