Cinco de Mayo, which means May 5 in Spanish, commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over the French forces of Napoleon on May 5, 1862, at the Battle of Puebla.
Mexico had trouble paying back war debts to European countries, and France had come to Mexico to collect that debt. Cinco de Mayo is a reminder of how many times Mexico has been invaded by other countries. On this one day, Mexico won the battle. That is your minute history lesson so you can amaze your family and friends.
Little known SML fact: I lived in Mexico for almost 3 years in the 80’s.
I love a good margarita… not frozen or green ones made with fake processed sugary mixers, but REAL ones made from tequila, lime juice and ice. This is a skinny version that is tempered a bit for American tastes. This is the one I have perfected in my backyard to sip with Ty on a summer evening or to our friends to create much greater laughter.
This year its for just us two in our backyard! Remember that a jigger is a 1 1/2 ounce shotglass used for measuring cocktails. Get one or in a pinch you can use a shotglass.
Skinny Margarita at home
- 1 jigger Patron Silver - or your fave blanco, white or silver tequila
- about 1/4 jigger Patron Citrónge - orange liqueur
- 1/2 jigger fresh lime juice
- about 1/4 jigger Sugar Free Simple Syrup* (instructions at page bottom)
Salt mug. Fill with ice. Add tequila, Grand Marnier, lime juice, and our special Simple Syrup. Stir. Top with lime wedge
SKINNY MARGARITA BY THE PITCHER at home
- 1 part Patron Silver (or Reposado if you are feelin fancy)
- 1/4 part Patron Citrónge - orange liqueur
- 1/2 part fresh lime juice
- 1/4 part Sugar Free Simple Syrup*
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? This is how you scale a recipe... in parts. Whether you use a tablespoon, a cup, a bowl, or a bucket - 1 tablespoon tequila, 1 cup tequila, 1 bowl tequila, 1 bucket tequila, then 1/ 2 or 1/4 a cup bowl or bucket of the other ingredients. Its all about proportion and this will give you a very good margarita for as many people as you need to make them for.
Sugar Free Simple Syrup*
- Simmer 2 cups of water and 4 cups of Splenda (or 2 cups Truvia) with a thinly sliced orange, thinly sliced lime, and a thinly sliced lemon until fruit slices have softened and mixture is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let cool.
- Remove citrus, strain into container and store in the fridge for up to a month.