Zucchini Sticks with Marinara Sauce
Crisp cheese coated sticks that are tender and juicy on the inside. Dip in marinara for a flavor explosion.
These will be your favorite side dish with pork chops, chicken or fish. Pop them in the air fryer or convection oven while you pan sear your protein. Yum.
- 1/4 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium zucchini, unpeeled, cut into sticks about 4 inches long
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat air fryer as per directions - I used the 390 setting. If using convection toaster oven, preheat to 400 degrees.
- Mix the panko with the cheese, oregano and garlic powder in a bowl. Season the zucchini with salt and pepper.
- Dip the zucchini in the egg and then dredge in the cheese crumb mixture.
- Arrange in the air fryer basket. (or on Pam-sprayed baking sheet) and air fry or bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Fry up a clove of sliced garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small heavy saucepan until golden.
- Add a large can of Italian Crushed Tomatoes, 1 teaspoon salt and a big pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add a small (2 ounce) package of fresh basil.
- Allow to bubble away on medium heat for 10 minutes and serve with sticks with remainder for another dish.