Every few weeks, the U12 Red Shrimp are are on sale at my local Basha's supermarket for $12 for a 2 pound bag. (U12 means ‘Under 12’, that there are fewer than 12 shrimp in 1 pound. They are the Big Ones!)
I always pick up two bags. I thaw the bag in the fridge overnight and this is my favorite way to to cook them. The vinegary cucumber salad is perfect for the smokiness of the grilled shrimp!
- Zest and juice of one whole lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- a few dashes of hot sauce or sriracha
- freshly chopped cilantro or basil
- Large Shrimp
- 1/2 an English cucumber, diced - or peel and dice a regular one
- 4 radishes, diced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Make a marinade by blending lime zest, juice, olive oil, garlic, paprika, salt, pepper and sriracha in a medium bowl, toss with the shrimp to coat and thread the shrimp on skewers.
- Spray the grill with nonstick vegetable coating and preheat over high until smoking hot.
- Toss the cucumbers, radishes, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper - set aside.
- Arrange the shrimp on the hot grill and do not touch them until the just begin to curl.
- Flip skewers, cook for just another minute or two, and remove when they are just done.
- Serve on a plate with some of the cucumber radish salad.