A delicious yet fast protein and vegetable meal for your Saturday night stay at home date night.
Open a bottle of wine. You are well over $50 ahead of the game!
Before you begin, stem and quarter a quart of fresh strawberries, toss with a tablespoon of Truvia and pop into the fridge. After dinner, spoon some berries into a wine glass and add a rose of Reddi Whipp. An excellent end to your meal.
We are all staying home - you are not the only one. I am fine with waiting until numbers come down to move about outside our home. I order groceries each week using Instacart that show up on my front steps in a couple of hours. I email my local butcher shop and let them know the cuts of beef pork and chicken I'd like so they can cut, wrap and bag my goods. I drive up, send a text, and they come out and put my bag in the trunk. We smile and wave!
My steak dinners are so good, I may never eat steak in a restaurant again. Try this meal and you will see how easy it is to have date night at home.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow pepper cut into 2 inch planks
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and chunked
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Two, 4 to 6 ounce filet mignon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh rosemary
- a splash of balsamic vinegar, about 2 tablespoons (or Worcestershire sauce)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high, add sweet pepper and zucchini, season with salt & pepper, stir fry until almost tender, 3 to 4 minutes and remove pan from heat.
- Season steak with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil, in a medium skillet over medium high heat and when oil is just about to smoke, add steaks and cook, undisturbed, until a lovely brown crust forms, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn steaks, add butter and rosemary, use a spoon to baste with the herb butter and pan juices while cooking, for an additional 3 to 4 minutes to medium rare.
- Use an instant read meat thermometer - remove steaks from pan at 130° to rest, knowing carry over heat will continue to cook them to a perfect 132° for medium rare.
- Transfer the vegetables to the hot steak pan, add a splash of balsamic vinegar to deglaze all that sizzle goodness and reheat your vegetables.
- Plate the steaks and vegetables on your nicest dishes.