It's no secret that I love margaritas. I developed this love affair when I lived in Mexico back in the mid 1980's. In Mexico, they don't add sugar to a margarita so they are super tart.
Here is a tasty version that I love to drink in our pool. There are just two of us so we have to really work to use a whole watermelon. My husband Ty, is an old school watermelon thumper so we always end up with one that is beautiful deep red. Some to eat and some for margaritas!
- 4 cups watermelon cubes pureed in blender
- 1/2 cup white tequila - I use Espolon or Casamigos
- 2 tablespoons triple sec – I use Grand Mariner
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- salt for rim - I like to use Tajin spicy Mexican salt
- limes for garnish
- Shake watermelon puree, tequila, triple sec, and lime juice in a shaker cup and pour into 2 ice filled salted rim glasses. Serve with lime and watermelon wedges.
- IF you prefer a frozen frosty Watermelon Margarita, freeze your watermelon cubes until solid. Pulse the frozen cubes, tequila, triple sec, and lime juice in the blender until silky smooth. Pour into salted glasses (no ice) and be careful you do not get Brain Freeze!