One of the only cakes that can be made with Splenda. The secret is in taking your time to beat the room temperature eggs into a bowl of thick rich whip.
For as beautiful as it is, this is quite an easy dessert. A moist Splenda sweetened sponge layer with a super thick layer of vanilla whipped cream. It really is delicious! Perfect for a holiday dress up with vanilla whipped cream and berries or tasty and moist on its own.
Decorate with any fresh berry that happens to be a star at the market. No substitutions - a cake needs a bit of regular flour with the almond flour in order to work.
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup Splenda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Spray a nonstick 9 inch square or round pan with nonstick cooking spray and line with a piece of parchment or wax paper.
- Blend together and set aside almond flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat the eggs in a small mixer bowl until very thick and lemon colored; add Splenda and continue beating until double in volume - the eggs should be almost like whipped cream.
- Slowly blend in on low speed, 1/4 cup hot tap water (not boiling), vanilla, and lemon extracts.
- Quickly and thoroughly fold in the dry ingredients. Pour into prepared pan and put in oven immediately.
- Bake until cake tests done, 20-25 minutes. Turn onto cooling rack and peel off paper. Cool completely.
- Whip the heavy cream and instant pudding powder until thick and fluffy.
- Split layer, fill and frost with the thick whipped cream.
- Arrange fresh berries on cake just before serving.