Cheesy Zucchini Parmigiana
If I had to choose one vegetable dish, this would be in the running for the top spot.
The soft texture makes this a great dish for even early bariatric peeps. This is a great side dish to make it easier to eat a little grilled chicken or fish! It's very easy to make if you use a high quality jar of sauce. Cover your ears, Grandma!
TIP: 2 cups of shredded cheese is NOT 16 ounces, it is 8 ounces. Shredded cheese is measured by volume and not by weight. This may blow some of your minds, but 8 ounces of shredded cheese is not the same as 8 ounces of cheese, shredded. Think about that one!
- 4 medium zucchini - I make 3 layers - cut longwise into even 1/3 inch planks, about 4 per zucchini
- 1 jar pasta sauce - Gia Russa & Rao's are good quality without added sugar - homemade is always best BUT for speed, even I go with a jar on occasion.
- 2 cups finely shredded Sargento Six Cheese Italian blend - or mozzarella is good too!
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Domestic Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce in bottom of a 8 x 8 square or 8 x 10 oblong baking dish.
- Layer zucchini, sauce, 1/3 of each of the cheeses and repeat for 3 or 4 layers ending with cheese.
- Cover with non stick foil or foil sprayed with non stick vegetable spray.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes until bubbling and soft, remove foil and bake additional 10 minutes until cheese is browned and crusted.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.