Everything But The Bagel Buns
FIRST... run, don't walk, to Trader Joes and buy 6 bottles of Everything But the Bagel Seasoning.
I was a huge Everything Bagel fan in a previous life. So when I started playing around with the idea of making a nice soft bun with cauliflower, it popped into my head to sprinkle the tops with a lovely coat of this iconic seasoning. The problem was that I couldn't get them quite right. The addition of the Inspire Protein Kitchen 'Everything Bagel' Flatbread Mix made them fluffy and light with a tender almost biscuit like texture - but not quite bread buns. They sure were delicious though! I made it another few times trying to perfect it.
Then it hit me. The buns are DELICIOUS, so WHY not just accept them for what they are? Cauliflower Buns! Why keep trying to make them into something they're not? HOW ABOUT WE LOVE THEM AS A VEGETABLE WITHOUT TRYING TO TURN THEM INTO BREAD? This was my AHHHHH HAAAAA moment. I have these epiphanies all the time but this was a big one.
Stop trying to turn cauliflower into something its not... enjoy this delicious vegetable for what it is! You've got to try these... they are fabulous.
PRO TIPS: 1. For some reason some folks are first cooking the cauliflower rice when there is NO mention of doing so. Use raw cauliflower! 2. Eggs are different sizes. I use Large Eggs. You want the mixture to come together into a ball in your ice cream scoop. IDEA: Use two eggs and add enough of the third one so mixture holds together. 3. If your 'buns' leak a little during cooking, just remove the cooked egg around the edges.
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THESE ARE NOT *REALLY* BUNS... they are a delicious vegetable side dish.
- 1 bag Trader Joe's riced cauliflower, in produce section (one pound is about 4 cups - you can grate a fresh cauliflower on a box grater as well)
- 1/2 cup Inspire Protein Kitchen Flatbread Mix
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 3 tablespoons Everything Bagel Seasoning blend
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly coat with nonstick vegetable spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the raw cauliflower rice, Inspire Flatbread mix, garlic powder and salt.
- Mix in the whisked eggs to combine.
- Using a metal ice cream scoop, divide the mixture into 8 even portions and lightly roll into buns.
- Arrange on prepared baking sheet and top each with 1 heaping teaspoon of Everything Bagel seasoning.
- Bake until the rolls are golden brown around the edges and dry to the touch, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let the rolls cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet and then carefully transfer to a rack to cool completely.