Faux Mashed 'Potatoes' - Cauliflower Mash
We are not going to really fool anyone, but this is a delicious dish in its own right! The yogurt gives the creamy mash the tang of a baked potato with sour cream. This is a perfect texture for bariatric eating because a little on the fork with any protein turns it into a soft moist chew.
A really nice dish for short ribs or beef stew... something simmered with gravy.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- Sea salt
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, I use Swanson
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, I use Fage
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 chopped green onions or chives
- Add the cauliflower, garlic and a pinch of salt to a boiling pot of water, cover and cook until very tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain well then dry by turning out onto paper towels and pressing down with more paper towels - this is a key step.
- Add the hot cauliflower and garlic cloves to a food processor with the broth, olive oil, and yogurt - process until very smooth.
- Stir in a pinch of salt and pepper to taste and top with the chopped green onions or chives.