I have baked gingerbread houses for over 30 years and there is nothing quite like the smell of warm cinnamon, ginger, and molasses in your kitchen.
This cake is moist and absolutely delicious, especially when you top it with some warm applesauce and whipped cream. This dessert gets my vote for top dessert to serve on your holiday table! It makes a small cake to cut into 9 squares - take this to your family gathering and watch it disappear.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Truvia Baking Blend, sugar replacer
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Spray an 8 inch deep round or square cake pan with non-stick cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar replacer until smooth and creamy; blend in the egg, molasses, and milk.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt.
- Add to the wet ingredients and beat until creamy and smooth.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool for ten minutes and turn onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into 9 squares. Serve dusted with powdered sugar or top with homemade applesauce and a dollop of whipped cream.